Saturday, August 4, 2007

Final Note on Geocaching

I'm hoping that after these past few weeks, all of you have enjoyed learning about geocaching.

As we've seen, this "treasure hunting" activity transcends into the classroom as well. Some of us, as teachers or librarians, may want to incorporate some of the geocaching activities into the educational setting. As we've learned, you can adapt such activities to make it work for a particular age level or for a particular subject (science, math, etc.). In addition, activities can be done without a GPS and still receive the benefits of geocaching activities.

Below is a list of resources, from the geocaching.com website, that may be of some interest. If you find yourself lost without having anything to do on WebCT [insert laugh] over the next few weeks (between semesters)...have a look and explore!

Articles

TD2 Into the Woods - Video

Hundreds "Cache" the Craze

Cache In on Some Surprising Valuables...

Go on Your Own Treasure Hunt

~Kate

1 comment:

thealouise said...

Thank you so much Kate for sharing these great resources. I loved the video and the two articles. I learned something new from each. I love that families are using this as a way to bond and I agree that it is a good excuse for getting out into nature. It's also nice the way it brings people together. I don't personally have a GPS device, but imagine that they must be expensive. I often wish that I did, however, because I am prone to getting lost. I think if I did I might want to do this with my family in the future. It seems to be really popular out West and caches seem to be mostly hidden in parks. I would be curious to find out if they do this in cities and if so, where do people tend to put the caches?